Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Jenny Lake - August 21, 2010

We had a big Urses Family trip planned in Star Valley on the weekend of August 21nd.   During all the discussions, we never really paid much attention to what was happening the week after.  Due to school starting up for all the nieces and nephews and London to start 1st grade, the big Urses Family trip ended up being a small Urses Family trip.  Mom & Dad Urses joined us in Star Valley on Friday night for BBQ hot dogs and an evening Bag Pipe concert at the golf course.

They were on a mission to see "wild life".  Little did they know the "wildest life" is probably the Star Valley Gang who have taught us everything we need to know about food and spirits.  In any event, we got up Saturday morning and headed to Jackson Hole for some shopping, lunch and wild life spotting.

To accomplish the later, we headed to Jenny Lake, about a 20 minute drive out of Jackson. We'd never been there before and it was very beautiful and even if I hadn't gotten new sunglasses, it would have been worth the drive.


It's a huge lake and no easy way to get to the water, but I just had to put my toes in.  We walked around on the path until I found a steep trail down.  Since I kept being told I hadn't worn hiking shoes, I decided to kick of the sandles and do the indian way - bare foot.  My pedicurist will hate me, but I just had to do it!

We did see some wild life though; a herd of buffalo, a couple of eagles and osprey in nests with their babies.  Even a squirrel or two at the lake.

We returned to Thayne via Teton Village.  We didn't realize part of it would involve 4-wheeling. . .a few miles of the road was dirt, so we didn't stop. We'd had plenty of "truck" time by then.

We had a very enjoyable weekend and next year, we'll have to do a better job planning and hope the rest of family will be able to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment