Saturday, March 13, 2010

At the Top of the World - Brighton Ski Resort

Kurt's Captain Ginger Barraclough moonlights as a member of Brighton Ski Resort's Ski Patrol.  For the last several years, she has taken the crew skiing for a day.  Since they're fire guys (and girl), they don't have to ski on Saturday or Sunday like the rest of us poor working slobs, and usually, they are kind enough to offer to let me take a day off and go.  Unfortunately (for me), I haven't been able to do it.  I think they count on that!

For the past two years, she's given Kurt and I a pass for us to go anytime and Ginger offered to meet us whenever we wanted.  This year, we finally took her up on her offer.  So, I took a Friday off work and after 15 years of retirement, I dusted off the ski pants, rented skis and headed to the hill for a day of humiliation.

What a blast we had!  As you all know, Kurt is a great skiier.  While he may have lost a bit of endurance (not that he'd ever admit it), he hasn't lost any of his style - I could watch him ski forever.  The resort's on-mountain photographers snapped a shot of him coming down the hill and he looks like be belongs on the cover of Powder Magazine.

If Kurt is a great skiier, then Ginger rises to that of rock star - icon status.  Then, of course, there is me.  I'd put me in the category of "groupie" - absolutely no talent, look like a fool, but good for a laugh or two.  I felt very sorry for them. 


They were kind enough to hangout and ski with me all day. The only saving grace I had was that after graduating from the Bunnie Hill before retirement, I didn't have to go back for remedial training and I managed to stay on my feet most of the day. (I'm not going to count falling of the lift once!)


It was a great time and I can't wait to do it again next year!  Thank you Ginger for a spectaclur day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment